4/4/11

StayDates!!

As you can imagine, being parents of twin toddlers, Ian and I don't get out much. Time to ourselves is rare. We also live by a pretty strict budget and that limits our "dately" activities. ;)  However, I believe that it's imperative for a husband and wife to date one another frequently throughout their married life. So, I've done some thinking! Who ever said a date had to be an "outing"? Or cost money? All you really need is a little creativity. Here are some ideas for "StayDates"!!

Fort Funville:
As kids, Ian and I loved to build forts, constructed with many sheets & blankets. Make a fort & have a slumber party. Pretend it's a cave. Snack foods only. No lights allowed. For atmosphere, have a thunderstorm playing in the background.

Theme night:
Choose a movie based in another country and create a meal to accompany it. To make it even more "authentic", consider an outfit for the occasion. For example:
Italy. Movie - "Letters to Juliet", "When in Rome", or "Return to Me"; Meal setting - candlelit table for two; ravioli or spaghetti (bread sticks are a must!). Accompanied by a glass of wine. Perfecto!!
China. Movie - "Mulan", "The Karate Kid", or "Shanghai Noon"; Meal setting - blanket on floor, sit on pillows. You could splurge & order Chinese, or you could make stir fry with soy sauce & won tons (Must eat with chopsticks!).

Campout:
Pitch a tent in the backyard. Since the H.O.A. may have issues with a real campfire, grill your meal (hamburgers or hotdogs) on the grill. Roast s'mores too! Get out the camp chairs and stair up at a starry sky until you get sleepy, and then cuddle up in your sleeping bags. Keep monitor close. ;)

Sports Date:
Baseball, basketball, football... Put on your caps & jerseys and cheer for your favorite team! Meal: hotdogs, nachos, coke(with straw). Movie options: "Field of Dreams", "Leatherheads", "Invincible", "Remember the Titans", "Rudy", "Angels in the Outfield", "The Air Up There", "Glory Road", "Eddie", etc...

Spa Date:
Calming music, a glass of wine, massages, and a nice candlelit bath...Together! Need I say more?!!


Covert Ops:
Get a pair of water guns. Dress in your gear...dark clothes & cap. Make it pitch dark! Inside the house & backyard boundaries. Flashlights allowed. Start on opposite ends of the house and try to be as stealthy as possible. Be very quiet & find your partner!!! After you're both thoroughly doused with water, reward yourselves with a meal of the winner's choice. Then watch "Shooter". ;)

Puzzling & Pizza:
Ian and I used to be working a puzzle all the time before we were married. There is something so nice & relaxing about "Puzzling" together!  No ordering of pizza allowed. :)  Create your own & make it together. Get pizza dough if you can't make it (we get a dough roll from Double Daves), choose your preferred toppings. Enjoy your meal while piecing together a puzzle.

Breakfast in Bed:
Comfy PJ's a must! After making your breakfast meal of choice, you are confined to your bed. Feel free to have a pillow fight accompanied by some cuddlin'.

Later than Late Laughter:
I don't know about y'all, but there is nothing more hilarious than watching a very ridiculous movie at an insanely early hour! Some of the "ridiculous" that have provided us with much laughter are:
- "Robin Hood: Men in Tights"
- "The Stupids"
- "Space Balls"
- "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"
- "Rat Race"
- "I Love Lucy"
- "Science Fiction Theater: The Final Sacrifice"

Dessert Night:
Be creative! You get to create a dessert out of your spouse! Chocolate, caramel, chocolate chips, brownies, whip cream, cherry on top...Make a sweet mess of each other!! Have fun!

Reminiscing:
Go through photo albums of your "together days of yesterday". Dance/Sway to your "wedding"song. 


Hope these few ideas are helpful in your pursuit of your spouse! 
"I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine...his desire is toward me." Song of Solomon 6:3, 7:10

2 comments:

  1. What GREAT ideas! Thanks Brittany for posting them. I think Jonathan and I are going to have to try some of them out. The waterguns sound fun!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brit! I needed this list!! We have been terrible about having date nights this year and this will help me break the cycle. Bless you. :-)

    ReplyDelete