Ian and I have considered the pros & cons and we have decided that it's time to wean our girls. They will be entirely formula fed starting August 1st. It has it's advantages & disadvantages. Originally, my desire was to breastfeed for a year, then when we had twins and it changed to 6 months. But things rarely go as we expect or intend. Due to the ICU experience following delivery, my body had to focus more on repairs rather than milk production, so we had a pretty rough start. My girls have nursed & had formula from the very beginning (reliance on the intake of formula to remain full), so it won't be too difficult a transition for them. Doc had told me that while I was breastfeeding to refrain from exercise & not to go back on birth control because it could dry up my milk. I am ready to start doing those things again; especially because the girls are growing and they're only getting about 2 ounces from me anyway. I just do not produce near enough to satisfy their hunger. I know I will struggle with the emotional disconnection a bit, but overall, I really am okay with our decision to go ahead with this. I'm confident that this is the best course of action for our entire family. I am so thankful that the Lord allowed me the ability to nurse them for 3 months! He has always been so good to me!








Hey girl- I think it is AMAZING that you were able to nurse them for 3 months! I can't imagine that it is easy for anyone to produce a heavy milk supply for 2 babies at once, and especially with the recovery that you had to go through. Great job!!
ReplyDelete